Old May 26th 05, 10:28 PM
Alan Browne

Alan Browne wrote:

If it can be "cracked" easily, then OpenRAW has no point.

It's the other way around logic-boy.

Ok, then, "OpenRAW has no point if the file formats can be cracked
easily".

You admit the file formats can be cracked easily, therefore ...

Since it is all but impossible to encrypt the data in the first place,
there is no need to do so. Or I suppose the OEM's could begin keying
the encryption on a case by case basis. Yeah, uh huh.

Oh sheesh. It's not like you decide one day "I hate those Mazda
*******s" and change car brands. Replacing a lens collection is not
trivial. Nikon have a lot of loyal customers who are now having part of
their own images encrypted and requiring Nikon authorized s/w to read it.

Nikon can also change their lens mount. What are you going to do, sue
them? After OpenRAW has passed their legislation mandating The File
Format, is the next step to mandate interoperable optics?

A good point that misses the point. Nikon have made big marketing hooey
over backward comaptible lens mounts. So in revenge they're making part
of their files unreadable? Yeah, okay. People will buy that. Sure.

The point is to stop these idiotic and pointless 'races' in the future.

Again, who is forcing you to participate in these "races"?

Nikon. By encrypting part of MY image without my consent.

You consented to it by pressing the shutter button.

Nobody considers this when they maintain Nikon lens collections or
purcahse a Nikon camera. Or other OEM's for that matter.