Old October 28th 03, 03:31 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

Default Railroad Photo Technique

"Timothy" wrote

I need As much Help With Night Photography of Locomotives as I can get
My Mane Problem is light level to speed of train other probs have more
to do with the fact I Use what ever lighting is avlible

You need more light -- lots more light -- to get a picture of
a moving train at night!

I take it you are familiar with O. Winston Link: http://www.linkmuseum.org/

Tips:

Get closer if you can, so you don't have to crop. Present the pictures
in a smaller size so they look sharper: 300x400 pix, or so.

You also need a tripod. Your shots will look a _lot_ better if
the background is not blurred.

If you are already using a tripod, then you need a different
camera, your pictures are much too blurred. I would suggest
dropping the digital for a film camera with an f 2.0 or faster
lens. Load it with Kodak T-Max 3200 (TMZ). If your budget
will stretch to it I would recommend an SLR and a 135mm f2.8
telephoto (135mm lenses are available used for very little money --
a Vivitar or Soligor brand will be inexpensive yet perform
quite well. Advertise your needs on rec.photo.marketplace or
go to ebay (watch out for crooks on ebay, though).

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio