Old September 16th 18, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default More on the Mirrorless Battles

On Sep 16, 2018, wrote
(in ):

Normal screen resolution is 1920 x 1080 pixcels.

nope. that's one of *many* display resolutions available today.

Well it's common for most desktops running Windows. Sure laptops and
others will be different. So what ? Just substitute other appropriate
numbers and my arguments still hold.

If an image is
produced by a sensor with the same resolution, then enough
information, as levels of red, green and blue, ranging from 0 to 255,
are obtained for each of the 1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600 pixcels, and the
image can be displayed accordingly. Now, if the number of sensor
pixcels are doubled in both dirrections, then the image is produced at
a higher resolution, and fully 4 pixcels have to be mapped into each
of the full screen display pixcels. In this case, the 4 should be
resolved into one, using some kind of round off scheme.

what you're describing is a retina display, except that it's a lot more
complicated than simply rounding off and may not be double either.

You'll have to clarify. retina display ? I only used double as a
convenient reference, but any increase would also apply.

I don’t know about *nospam* clarifying anything, but the term “Retina
display” is an Apple thing. For example the 27” iMac 5K Retina display that
I am using right now has a resolution of 5120 x2880 with an appropriate pixel
density, and it is undoubtably a higher resolution than the 1920 x 1080 of my
old non-retina display iMac.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retina_display