Old May 11th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Default Wet photography is really dying

On 5/9/2008 9:29 PM Ken Nadvornick spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote:

Wet photography is really dying

Another depressing data point: today I saw an Omega enlarger
put out on the curb on my way home. (A little 35mm one.) Nearly
complete.

I suppose it depends on which end of the glass one is trying to drink from...

Today, I have the best darkroom I have ever had. Finest equipment. Best
supplies. Easily handles all formats from half-frame 35mm to 8x10. Prints
possible from reductions to 20x24.

You know, it's great you have all that stuff; it really is. I don't mean
to take anything away from that. But how on earth can you propose that
since *you* have all this great stuff that the state of wet photography
is OK? It is for you, for the moment, but as others have pointed out,
what happens when manufacturers inevitably start not producing film and
paper? What will we do then?

In fact, the very fact that it is now so easy to equip such a darkroom
as you have is further evidence on my side. The stuff is so cheap
because it's being pitched overboard because of digital.

I don't think film and paper will ever go completely out of production,
but it will probably soon be relegated to boutique status, and will be
much more expensive, much less widely available, and with much less
variety. (Perhaps much like vinyl records today.)

Enjoy the ride while it lasts, I suppose.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill