Old January 9th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

Default Which Monopod?

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 15:40:02 -0000, Ian B wrote:

Your expert opions are sought to help me decide on which type of monopod
would suit my situation best. I have just bought a Finepix S5600 Zoom (10x)
and take photos of my son's Rugby Team. I have thought about getting a
monopod, but there seems to be 2 main types, either with a 'proper' tripod
head, or just a screw fit direct on handle. I am swayed towards the Screw
handle type as I think this is suitable for me moving around a sports pitch
quite easily. I also think the Pan & Tilt Head would be a bit of overkill.
However, I would like your opinions before I buy, I might be missing a trick
somewhere.

I use an inexpensive but nicely made Velbon RUP-43 monopod (3
sections, 64.4" fully extended, 20.8" collapsed) which includes a
ball head and it has proven to be more convenient than if it only
had a screw built into the top end. I can sometimes lean it into a
nearby solid object to get better stability, and the ball head makes
it easy to reposition the camera properly even when the monopod
itself is necessarily leaning at an awkward angle. I sometimes keep
the collapsed monopod attached to the camera even when not using it
in the normal manner, since it's extra weight increases stability
even if it's not touching the ground. It might not be a good idea
with a really heavy camera, but at slightly under a pound. it's
quite easy to hold with an even less heavy camera such as the S5600
attached. I use it with Fuji's previous model, the S5100/S5500.
While it can't come close to matching the stability of a decent
tripod, it reduces a lot of the camera shake that a monopod-less
handheld camera would have.