Old January 9th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ian B

Default Which Monopod?

"Eric Miller" wrote in message
Ian B wrote:
Hi,

Your expert opions are sought to help me decide on which type of monopod
would suit my situation best. I have just bought a Finepix S5600 Zoom
(10x) and take photos of my son's Rugby Team. I have thought about
getting a monopod, but there seems to be 2 main types, either with a
'proper' tripod head, or just a screw fit direct on handle. I am swayed
towards the Screw handle type as I think this is suitable for me moving
around a sports pitch quite easily. I also think the Pan & Tilt Head
would be a bit of overkill. However, I would like your opinions before I
buy, I might be missing a trick somewhere.

Thanks,

Ian

A pan & tilt head is overkill for most cameras. The monopod itself will
swivel effortlessly and tilt to some degree. You only need a head the
tilts like the Bogen/Manfrotto 3232 or 3229. 3229 has a quick release,
3232 does not. You can probably get by without it for sports, but you may
still find it useful for shooting from bleachers or other positions above
or below the subject.

However, if you do not have a tripod collar, you may want to consider a
head that will allow you to change your camera from landscape to portrait
orientation. The heads above will allow this, by mounting the camera
perpendicular to the tilt axis, but will not allow tilt at the same time.

Eric Miller

Thanks for that Eric, hadn't really thought about the orientation problems
that could arise.

Ian