Old March 26th 20, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

Default Something to be said for smartphones

On 3/26/20 2:04 PM, Savageduck wrote:
philo wrote:
On 3/25/20 9:30 PM, Savageduck wrote:
Whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 25 March 2020 05:47:46 UTC, Savageduck wrote:
philo wrote:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hnLH8ZUd2Es6D9Jo7

man enjoying his beer

https://photos.app.goo.gl/r2PUiRETRhjKwbLZ7

typical street scene
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uq8fccdRzHQUc2ZT8

Hey. I have wheels. I'm hauling freignt. I can use the damn road

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6QwdEwrXcirM4WfB6

It seems that clandestine, opportunistic, candid street photography with a
smartphone does not lend itself to thoughtful framing, or composition.

well of but sometimes holding a DSLR camera with a kit bag around your
neck isn't the best way of getting a candid photo.

Who said anything about using a DSLR for candid street photography?
There are cameras that are not as conspicuous as a DSLR such as the
Fujifilm X-Pro, X100, and X-E series cameras which are well suited to the
purpose. However, there have been plenty of very good, even great, well
composed, candid street shots captured with a variety of cameras which are
not exactly inconspicuous, including Speed Graphics, TLRs, SLRS, and DSLRs.

Philo, I know that you could have done better with your regular cameras, or
if you had taken a tad more care, and/or deliberation with your smartphone.
After all the phone I.Q. Is certainly good enough.

That could also affect the type of picture you wish to take regarding the end result.

It is always the photographer who controls composition, framing, and intent
regardless of camera used, and neglecting thoughtfulness in the process of
capturing an image gives you sloppy results which might, or might not be
fixable with post processing.

Sorry but I think you should have framed your comment with a little more
thought

Not ****ed at you but gee whiz.

I know you are a decent guy and not a troll, but when one is walking
quite fast in a crowd of people there is no such thing as the luxury of
stopping even half a second to compose...especially when the camera is
at waist level.

By taking literally thousands of shots and deleting most of them
afterwards, I did improve my aim a bit though.

Finally...you obviously missed my point that these photos were taken
with no intent to display them mounted and framed. They were there to
give my friends back on Facebook a good feel of what it was like to walk
(quickly) down the streets of Medellin.

OK! I understand your intent, sorry if we were engaged in a
misunderstanding.

Whew, glad you did not get ****ed at me but I had a great thought.

It would be cool to just set up a huge view camera and see what happens !!!

Looking back now....the entire two months we were there, I only saw one
actual camera being used.

We made it it point however to stay far away from places tourists would go.