Old January 18th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
2Bdecided

Default DSLR for "full auto" shooting of kids? or Point-and-shoot?

On 18 Jan, 16:45, Paul Furman wrote:

Do you really need zoom for family photos though?

It seemed very useful, but I don't know. The idea of changing lenses
worries me - I'd break something.

The reason I ask is a
fixed length fast 'prime' lens is really ideal for kids & indoor family
shooting: you can shoot without any flash at all and capture the
ambiance much better and you can get a faster shutter speed for
herky-jerky little kids.
Stuff like this:http://edgehill.net/Misc/misc-photos/nick/pg3pc13

This is something I'm interested in. Let's say a given amount of light
(indoors, night, normal-ish lighting) meant the zoom lens needed ISO
1600 and 1/100th. I have no idea what aperture. The result would be
noisy, of course. What ISO could I come down to with a fast fixed
length lens, still at 1/100th, for a comparably bright picture, with
hopefully much less noise?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
David.