Old January 15th 08, 08:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Default "safe" temperatures for lithium batteries?

151 wrote:
Hi all,

I have a question about lithium batteries that I suspect you guys
might be able to answer since I am sure digital cameras go through
quite a bit of rough treatment.

Basically, I recently got a device that warned (rather vaugely) about
leaving the device (in this case a bluetooth headset) anywhere it
might get hot (direct sunlight, on top of a heater etc) as this might
affect the battery...

I am curious as to what might happen to the battery if it is left in a
hot/warm place? What are the average safe operational/storage
tempertures for lithium batteries - are we talking 6-0 degrees C for
example?

cheers!

At those temps, you are quite likely to cause the plastic case to
deform. Temps in a car in a warm climate, such as Texas, can quickly
rise to 160 F. This is likely to damage batteries, and can easily
deform plastic. Add to the ambient temp, the temperature increase from
direct sun, and plastic can melt. My brother once got second degree
burns from the leather seats in his car when he got in it with shorts on.