Old December 29th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Progressiveabsolution

Default Scanners: Epson V700/V750 vs. Nikon 8000/9000

Rafe,

Just how much better is the 9000 version than the 8000? The difference
between a used 8000 and new 9000 can be as significant as $1000 right
now. I have seen 8000's go for $800 and you can get a squaretrade
warranty for $60 that gives you 2 years of warranty for it. You can
get a 9000 for $1500 (if lucky) on auction. This is quite a
significant difference in one sense BUT in another sense, if one is
"clearly" better than the other, money should not be an option. It
goes for digital cameras. I can clearly see a difference in the level
of "authority/presentation" of the Canon 5D over the smaller sensored
cameras (maybe it is just my eyes???), so if I can see this clear
difference between the 9000 and 8000, it makes no sense having the 8000
(instead of 9000) just like it makes no sense having the
300D/20D/30D/etc. when I can have the 5D. NOW...if we are talking
cars, audio, houses, etc. where we are talking thousands of dollars of
difference, then I can see a point of diminishing returns OR a settling
for something we cannot have since we cannot afford it. But I mean,
spending $800 on the V750, then the proper holder for it is no
different than spending $800 for a used Nikon 8000 and buying for a bit
more, the glass holder...and likewise, making no sense that one would
get the 8000 knowing the 9000 is "that much better" and only $800
more...etc...Now if we are talking "that much better" $5000-$15,000
scanner, I wouldn't even bother...it would be a similar ratio of
getting a $30K car vs. a $100K one...Would make no sense when I can
drive the WRX STI instead of the Porche 911...Both will go about the
same speed and do the same thing, but one will look
classier/sophisticated.

Sooooooo.....

Just how much better is the Nikon 9000 than the 8000 for both MF and
35mm film?