Old December 3rd 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Howard Joe

Default Unreadable JPG Files on CD

Just guessing, here. You didn't what type of disc the pictures were burned
onto. Maybe you're trying to read a -R disc on a +R reader, or vice versa.
Have you always been able to view the images on your computer or only on
whatever other computer from which they were burned to disc?

"tallen" wrote in message
HELP!

I have a CD with a large quantity of family photos all .jpgs taken between
1999 and 2003. The CD was supposed to be my archive before I wiped the
pictures off my hard drive. Only about half the images now preview in
thumbnails the rest just show a generic page icon of a sailboat and
sunset. When I try to open one of these files with Microsoft picture
viewer it says "no preview available". When I try to open using
Photoshop it says bad format. Same with Photo Deluxe except it says there
is a problem parsing the JPEG data. Yet, the CD directory lists them with
the correct file name and appropriate size as does the Properties box.

This isn't good.

I've tried the CD on 5 different drives in 3 different computers with the
same outcome. Except...sometimes one or two of the files that had a
generic icon will show up correctly in thumbnails when I reinsert the CD
in some of the drives...but it is sporatic. Which is very strange.
Incidentally, the unreadable files are not in sequential order. They are
spread out across the whole CD. So I don't think it is a media
issue...I'm only guessing at this.

Any advice before I just shoot myself and go back to film and paper.

Thanks in advance.