Old December 22nd 04, 09:58 PM
Joseph Meehan

Jeremy wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
news:bdhyd.11970

Digital storage is not forever.

We often fail to appreciate the fact that CDs were NEVER developed to
be an archival storage medium! There is an element of Russian
Roulette when storing on CD or DVD. We already know that there is a
wide variation when it comes to reliability of data (I just read
something about "rotting dyes" in some CDs, that apparently degrade
over time to the point that the entire disk becomes unreadable).

Meanwhile, the guy that has shot film, on his cheap little Point &
Shoot camera, and who has carefully stored the prints and negs in
archival plastic album pages, ends up keeping his whole library of
his life's pictures! Is that ironic, or what?

Ah such is life.

Actually few people using point and shoot will end up with archival
prints, they will be prints from the cheapest lab they can find, but they
still may outlast many digital images.

I don't remember who noted it, but I like the response that brought out
the point that 90% of the messages here are really over worried about it and
I will add that most of the images being worried about should be on the
cutting room floor.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math