Old February 25th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default "safe" light?

Welcome back to the darkroom!

Night vision goggles and IR lamps are used in commercial labs but only on
paper production darkrooms. When they first came out we all heard stories
of people sitting in darkrooms eating their lunch on the clock, goofing off
or, in one case, getting "romantic" in the darkroom, fooling around knowing
the boss couldn't see them, if someone would go through the light trap to
check on them they could just rattle some film reels, etc. knowing they were
safe from inspection.

That all changed after the night vision equipment was purchased! Production
went up and some people left the industry rather quickly.

things in a practiced regular series of steps and a meticulous order you'll
be just fine. And these are skills and habits you should acquire if you're
going back into darkroom work anyway. Good luck and have fun.

--
darkroommike

wrote in message
Hello all...
I haven't been in a darkroom since high school, and that's nearing 40
years, so there's a lot of re-learning to do... a short series of
related questions if I may;
As I recall, black & white paper is not sensitive to red, hence the
red safelight, right? What of b&w film, is it similarly insensitve?
And if so, does that mean the paper, and maybe the film would not be
affected by infrared?
Can you see where I'm going with this...? No doubt a question asked
numerous times in the past but I'm back at the beginner stage....
Should a person not be able to work in the darkroom using night vision
goggles??? Not necessarily with the illuminator on the goggles...
that would be much too bright at that close a range, but with a weak
IR source back in a corner somewhere.
The intention is to roll my own minox cassettes and the thought of
fumbling around in the dark is rather daunting after all these years
especially with fingers that are a lot less flexible than they were in
the teens...
I know, I know... practice practice practice in the daylight...
Thanx muchly for your advice.