Old February 24th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default "safe" light?

wrote:
Hello all...
Can you see where I'm going with this...? No doubt a question asked
numerous times in the past but I'm back at the beginner stage....
Should a person not be able to work in the darkroom using night vision
goggles??? Not necessarily with the illuminator on the goggles...
that would be much too bright at that close a range, but with a weak
IR source back in a corner somewhere.

Kodak does make a #11 safelight filter which passes
infrared for use with infrared inspection devices.

This could make a lot of sense in a commercial darkroom,
but for home use, I think that just keeping your space very well
ordered and learning to do things by feel is going to be more
satisfactory than having to wear some sort of contraption
on your head.

The intention is to roll my own minox cassettes and the thought of
fumbling around in the dark is rather daunting after all these years
especially with fingers that are a lot less flexible than they were in
the teens...
I know, I know... practice practice practice in the daylight...
Thanx muchly for your advice.

The first time in the dark, you might get flustered and forget
where things are and how they go together. It will get easier
each time until you get so good that it seems the easiest
and most natural thing in the world.

I find that listening to music can help me enjoy being in
darkness and make me feel less frustrated when a tricky
operation isn't going smoothly.

Peter.