Old September 14th 04, 06:45 PM
Dave Martindale

"Larry R Harrison Jr" writes:

I guess it shouldn't bother me, but frankly the more manufacturers would
just stick with one type of card and be done with it, the better things
would be. But then, maybe that's what they're doing in the way of SD, I
don't know. Maybe I'm just nervious because I've "invested" in a Coolpix
5700 which is Compact Flash and I don't want its media becoming obselete
even though eventually I guess the camera itself will be.

CF is still the storage of choice for larger cameras like DSLRs, because
the cost is lower and the size per card is higher than SD. They're
likely to be available for a long time.

SD is popular for really small cameras, PDAs, cellphones, and things
where space matters more. With time, they'll probably drop in price per
byte to be comparable to CF. But I don't see one replacing the other.

Dave