Old September 14th 04, 04:34 PM
Larry R Harrison Jr

Default SD Replacing Compact Flash?

Frankly, I have noticed so many cameras switching to Secure Digital (SD)
cards in place of Compact Flash I'm wondering if Compact Flash is going the
way of Smart Media cards.

Yes, SD is more compact but then, look at how compact the Nikon Coolpix 2100
and 3100 cameras were and they were Compact Flash. Ditto the Canon Powershot
A60, A70, A75 etc. Even the Powershot S410 is Compact Flash, and that is
one tiny camera; it's one of the "Digital IXUS" series of ultra-compacts
sort of like the "Digital Elph" series.

I don't know why this bothers me, but it does. I'd just assume manufacturers
stick more with Compact Flash, but between all of Nikon's compacts going SD,
Pentax's new *ist DS D-SLR going SD and so on, it looks like Compact Flash
may be going the way of Smart Media cards.

I guess it shouldn't bother me, but frankly the more manufacturers would
just stick with one type of card and be done with it, the better things
would be. But then, maybe that's what they're doing in the way of SD, I
don't know. Maybe I'm just nervious because I've "invested" in a Coolpix
5700 which is Compact Flash and I don't want its media becoming obselete
even though eventually I guess the camera itself will be.

Comments?

LRH