Old June 8th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
erie patsellis

Default Home Made Registration Punch and Carrier?

john wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 6/4/2008 5:43 AM john spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

I'm sure you know that the register pins used in graphic arts are still
readily available and could easily be mounted to just about anything.
All I have found are far too large, in the 30" range.

Hmmm; maybe you don't know what I mean. The registration pins printers
(used to) use are little metal tabs, maybe an inch and a half long by an
inch or so, stainless steel, with a short (1/8" or less) pin attached. The
pin goes in the hole, and the tab gets taped down to the light
table/exposure frame/whatever. Very simple to use, and could definitely be
machined for permanent or semi-permanent attachment to your homemade rig.

Does that help any?

Pins are no problem. It is the build of the jig and the build of the
negative carrier that matches the pin holes.

P.S.: While searching for pictures of pins, I ran across this page which
has a lot of stuff about Saltzman enlargers, registration carriers, etc.,
in case you don't already know about it:
http://www.glennview.com/dkrm2.htm

I know that prick. He doesn't answer his email. I had several thousand
dollars to spend, identified the stuff I was considering, wrote to ask if I
could make an appointment to see the stuff in person and he decided he was
too rich to sell. **** him.

John,

The easiest way is to punch a piece of polyester or mylar with a 3 hole punch, though I
remove the middle punch myself. Insert your pins into the holes, with the tabs away from
the material, tape/glue/VHB (whatever your preferred attachment method)the pins to the
carrier/light table/etc.

It may not be rocket science, or precision machining, but that's how I do it every day
when I strip negatives for plates at work, and it works just fine, though we do have
several of the fancy punches, at home I use the 3 hole punch just fine. (if you need some
tabs, I can probably liberate a couple, or at least find a source that doesn't require you
to buy a dozen/gross/container load at a time)

erie