Old November 15th 17, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Default Jupiter photos

"Whisky-dave" wrote

| What do you think of this image then ?
|
| A colourful moon.
|
| https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap171111.html

I'd say a NASA wiseguy took a shot of onyx tile
in his bathroom.

This reminds me of Oliver Stone movies and
the increasing trend toward "vaguely based on
fact". True stories are interesting because
they're true. On the one hand we could say
that truth is in the eye of the beholder. To
some extent that's accurate. But there is also
valid objective truth on a relative level. I
never went to see Stone's Nixon and generally
don't watch any of his movies because they're
lies in the service of marketing. He feels he has
the right to exploit the "based on fact" angle while
at the same time making up his own facts. It
doesn't work that way. His work distorts history.

Your link to the moon photo is interesting in
that it has a purpose. As explianed, it's really
more a chart of mineral deposits than a photo.
They make that clear. But if they pull an Oliver
Stone and say this is the real moon then it's
misleading (that is, lies) for the sake of
entertainment.