Old May 4th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkW

Default GeoTagging

On May 4, 4:36 pm, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:
MidNight Mapper wrote:
Any pointers on geotagging my Nikon d200 images?

Oziphototool will do this, but you need the Oziexplorer software and a
gps/laptop combination, and of course, digital maps of the area you are in.

I don't believe you need Oziexplorer to use Oziphototool -- it will
work with a GPS directly. And you don't really need digital maps of
your area -- Google Earth works very well. It's pretty cool to
generate a 'KMZ' file for Google earth that will display your GPS
track and all your photos in place. You can also upload to the Google
Earth community.

That said, I tried Oziphototool and had problems with it -- there was
format problem in the Lat/Lng data somewhere in the process. I ended
up using 'Robogeo', which is quite nice, but not all that cheap for a
single-function software package. There really should be a freeware
solution out there, but I haven't found any good ones yet.

And that's assuming you'll be carrying a GPS with you and downloading
the GPS track to tag your photos automatically. If you want to do it
by hand (e.g. click on the map where the photo was taken), you can use
Google Picasa and Google Earth together to do it that way.