Old February 11th 13, 09:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

Default Pentax question

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
John A. wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 07:57:39 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

John A. wrote:
On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 18:22:46 -0800 (PST), RichA
wrote:

On Feb 6, 2:46 pm, Lyndon wrote:
I have been using Pentax film cameras for all of my photography
life (from the H-1a screw mounts). I currently have the MX camera
with many Kmount lenses. I have noticed the K30 pentax camera and
am wondering if it will take the K mount lenses and get approx the
same results with them. For instance, I have a 24mm lens which is
a very wide angle lens. I have been told that earlier dslr cameras
could be modified to take such a lens, but it would no longer give
24mm film comparable pictures. Hope this isn't too confusing. But
I would like to keep using all my older K mount lens if possible
with similar digital result.

Lyndon

I'm frankly amazed Pentax is still in business. They have a market
share that makes Olympus's look big. I can only surmise they have
reasonable margins on what they sell.

Maybe...
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/06/30/...-satisfaction/

You will note that the ratings of the top three are very close
together. Without some assessment of the statistical spread of the
ratings in the sample saying 899 is better than 891 is better than
888 cannot be justified, they might all be within the spread and the
differences of no significance. I couldn't see such a measure of
significance in the linked full report which doesn't even say what
the sample size was, nor is the sampling methodology explained. The
footnote to the chart says "rankings were based on numerical scores
not statistical significance". A proper survey would be the
contrary.

This survey is well worth ignoring.

David

Even if it only shows that people are as satisfied with Pentax as the
leading brands, that's still significant enough.

I don't want to beat this to death but as it stands this survey doesn't
tell us even that much.

"Equal" is just as valid a result as "better" and not at all something
to be ignored when considering which brand to go with.

It could be equal, better or worse, we don't know. I agree that customer
satisfaction ought not be ignored but the survey doesn't say anything
useful about it.

Actually the results as far as they go do indicate roughly equal, with no
statistical difference, but since they appear to be based on a small sample,
you are also correct in ignoring them. I certainly wouldn't base my camera
choice on such a survey, even one that was properly conducted.

Trevor.