Old March 24th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Sodium Sulfite Solution questions (for Polaroid 55)

Stephan Goldstein wrote:
I'd like to start playing around with Type 55 P/N film. From reading I know
the negatives should be cleared (per Polaroid) in an 18% solution of Sodium
Sulfite. What I don't know is the storage life of said solution, or how to tell
when it's dead. Or is it immortal?

Thanks all!

Steve

You may want to try plain tap water. It has worked for me just fine on
type 665 pos-neg film. Tap water here is about pH 8.5. The reason I
went with plain tap water is that I had a hard time getting 180 grams of
sodium sulfite to dissolve in a liter of water.

I put the neg in a tray and ran water over it until all the gunk
dissolved away. Then soaked the negative in regular clearing solution.
Then Photo-flo and dry.