Old September 19th 04, 03:57 AM
Phil Tobias

The no-name 'Walmart' grade lights (WHite Lightning, Alien Bees) are good to
use as toys. You are far better served buying some used Elinchroms or a used
Profoto pack and head system than a new Alien Bee or White Lightning brand.

Hmmm. I owned several Balcar and Bowens strobes before my White Lightning gear.
While I liked those brands just fine, my White Lightning gear has held up just
as well, or better.

While I've never needed any service, I understand that White Lightning service
is among the best. I have experienced parts problems or delays with the more
exotic brands, so good service is something to factor in a decision.

High price is not always the best indicator of quality or service of "toys" ...
or professional gear.

....pt

Business/Communications start at http://www.PhilipTobias.com.
Grow your business using my technical and marketing communications -
Effective writing, graphic design, multimedia, photos, and Web sites.