Old December 7th 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
otzi

Default Getting into large format photography

As a university instructor I must disagree -IF the student is assigned
to a large format project which requires camera movements.

I'll leave it at that - self apparent: I hope.

I agree with you, John._To me, "large format" means a camera with
reasonably substantial, workable movements --

I started with the Calumet 4x5 monorail and found it much too cumbersome.
So I acquired a MPP field camera and liked it one whole bunch. Compact,
fairly light, solidly built, and lots of movements. Then I had an
opportunity to get a Linhof Color monorail.

OK. So here then is my second suggestion if pretzel confusion is the
curriculum requirement. Any Sinar F series. Like the Graphic it too is
plentiful on the bay. Bog simple and infinitely interchangeable with
upgradeable bits as cash allows. Hell there is only 4 bits to them, Rail
with clamp front and rear standards and bellows.

But the clincher is, in my opinion, that the base tilt is close to the board
base. Apart from the yaw free aspect which is probably lost on a student, it
makes for easier focus due to it's relative closeness to asymmetric hinge
point. So as you raise the standard this point doesn't change. Compare the
Norma style. Raise the lens and the tilt point is way back down by the rail
with the associated additional focus complexities.

There are lots and lots of different cameras out there. It could be said
they are all good, well nearly all, but few offer the parts, retro and
currant compatibility along with the potential to extend the rail to the
next county if one so wishes.

Hmm, if one were to gather enough rails one could conceivably photograph
ones own backside? Maybe if one stuffed magnets in them. Is that how they
bend light? Would make setting the lens a breeze. = Otzi