Old May 2nd 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
One4All

Default Selecting Photos for Slideshow

On May 2, 3:29 pm, thehick wrote:
On May 2, 5:18 pm, One4All wrote: I want to produce DVDs of photos that I & others have taken of my
family over a long period of time.

snip
I just recently started to host a web-site for pictures of the
extended family. I grappled with this concept also. and at
first just put everything up. then i realized that doing
some basic categorization would be better. so i grouped
things by:
date -- occasion
-- all
-- highlights
-- bloopers
-- other-people's-pictures

This way folks could just check the highlights of any
occasion and if they had more time/interest, they could
look at everything.

I make sure that every person at any particular occasion
is represented at least in one picture in the Highlight grouping.
Any I give all involved veto power over any pic they are in.

hope this gives you some ideas on how you might
improve your presentation. instead of DVD, I would
suggest setting up a web site with pictures
and flash movies. much more accessible, immediate
and more likely to be useful to everyone.
good luck...thehick

Thanks, Hick

I've started by proceeding in straight chronological order without any
divisions in terms of time or place. I think the easiest course for me
is to insert titles, such as "High School Years," "College Years,"
etc. That way, people can skip what doesn't interest them. I may try
some other strategies.

As to a website, (I'm revealing my age, now.) most of the folks don't
use the Internet that much, or at least that's my perception. It's not
a viable alternative at this point, & instead of blaming them, maybe I
have to admit that going the Internet route is not what I want to get
into at this point.

But, your comment has broken the log jam for me & thank you.