Old June 5th 17, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chaya Eve

Default Deconstruct a GIF file

On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 07:34:14 -0400, Mayayana
wrote:

GIF doesn't usually have metadata.

I use GIF because it doesn't have EXIF metadata!

Is that what you mean?

I'm not asking about meta data.
I'm asking about layers.

I often start with a PNG which has layers, and
I edit the PNG which has more layers and then I save
to GIF because I'm trying to get rid of the layers
that I edited out.

When you save a JPG you lose data. When you save a GIF you limit and
corrupt the colors. So those transitions should only
be done after any image editing is finished. Presumably
your screenshot started out as a BMP. If not, it
should.

They generally start out as PNG files, which have
layers which is why I want to save to some other format
which will lose those layers.

I just don't want to accidentally send out information
in layers that I thought I deleted when I cut out sections
of a screenshot.