Old March 3rd 12, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

Default As suspected, D4 not as clean as D3S

RichA wrote:
Then why is there more "visible" noise in the D4 images on Dpreview?

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/141858950

You don't seem to be able to tell what is "more" and
what is not.

I personally can't tell from those image if there is
more noise or not. All I can tell is that the images
are *clearly* not comparable by visual inspection. They
are not taken with exactly the same light, they are not
normalized to the same pixel dimensions, and visual
inspection cannot determine differences that close
anyway.

The worst part is that the D4 image actually *doesn't*
look noisier! Look at the letters where it says
"Thursday", and notice that there is more contrast in
the D4 image than in the D3S image. But the big clue
that the images are not comparable is the different
shadows/reflections that show up from the face of the
watch.

The point of course is that your original claim is
nothing but an emotionally ignorant rant. If instead we
look at the work done by people with credibility who have
actually *measured* noise in ways that is comparable...
the graphs I referenced done by Marianne Oelund
distinctly show how the D4 compares to the D3S, without
requiring viewer judgment of what they are seeing.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)