Old May 24th 04, 06:12 AM
Bob Monaghan

Default metering a best "guess"? ;-) Rule of f16

plus your guesses should keep getting better ;-) I noted that full
daylight in Texas is a bit brighter than in Connecticut when I moved here.
Connecticut in the summer is less bright than the "paper film meter" in
the boxes would have you believe (cf. f/11 vs. f/16 per some posters
here?)

I was also off in some of my guesses until I learned to look closely at
the sky and see if there was any noticeable haze. If so, drop 1/2 stop.
Let's hope the haze is also blocking half the UV too ;-)

And we haven't even begun to get into "memory" effects with CdS meters vs
instant reading SBC cells etc. ;-) What do you do when the meter is
changing its reading of the exact same scene in steady bright daylight?
;-)

grins bobm

* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *