Old December 19th 05, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital

Default Getting that film look

says...

I have heard these kinds of comments and often find that they are sort of an
urban legend similar to some who insist tube amplifiers sound better than
solid-state amplifiers. Double-blind tests always do them in (they can't
consistently identify the type of amplifier).

Which studies? I have been recording these amps for 30 years and they
sound different and many people "can" tell the difference in double blind
studies. Helps if they have an ear. "The tests you are referring to may
have been skewed to make solid state win out." Easy to do. And, some
people prefer soild state but whenever someone comments on great tones I
have it is always when I have used a tube amp. Some folks even try to say
things like plastic sounds as good or the same as wood to make guitars
and violins. Really? It is not "urban legend" it is a lack of an "ear" or
having a good one in most cases. Do you really think transistors and
tubes react the same and make the same overtones and harmonics and that
people can't tell a difference? Really, talk to any audio professional,
not your local podunk sound guy, a real producer of music. Man, it is
really a sad state when folks can't tell the difference but it does show
why really bad music can sell really well. Sometimes I wonder why those
of us who can tell the diff even bother to do a decent job at all.

Some photography folks are truly informed and prefer film, but they are not
always the ones making these kinds of comments.

As you pointed out, digital manipulation can produce various effects.

I can tell the difference bewteen transistor and tube power amps. I
prefer trannies...