Old October 4th 04, 11:59 AM

Drifter wrote:

for the sake of my comparison I consider modern photography to be a
direct descendant of the first film negatives created by Henry
Talbot in 1834. That gives photography a pedigree of at least 170
years. Even starting from the first Leica (1924) we have a
photographic history of 80 years!

By contrast, digital photography (using a sensor as opposed to a
film negative) can, at best, claim a history of roughly 17 years
with Kodak's first commercial sensor around 1987

At best? The first commercial sensor for digital photography was the
CCD201ADC, from Fairchild, in 1973. By 1986, Kodak were a long way
down the road with a 1.4 Mpixel sensor.

Andrew.