Old February 22nd 12, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
K W Hart

Default Will a new computer help?

"Alan Justice" wrote in message

snip
Oh yeah, sorry. My invoice does not say which USB. Pchased Aug. 2004.
But
the question is will that type of port allow for a fast enough file access
(using Canon DPP) with a drive with a fast access speed?
--
Alan Justice
http://home.earthlink.net/~wildlifepaparazzi/

USB is not the fastest way to access a disk drive. There are two ways that
digital devices can communicate: serial and parallel. Serial comunication,
such as USB, sends one bit after another. Parallel communication sends
bytes, which are multiple bits (8, 16, 32 or in some cases, 64) at the same
time. If a device has a cable with a lot of wires, and a connector with a
lot of pins, it is likely parallel- for example, an IDE hard drive has
(IIRC) a 32 pin connector. It sends (IIRC) 16 bits at one time. A USB device
would send those same 16 bits one after another.

I have a connector device that allows me to connect a bare IDE drive to my
USB port. It is painfully slow. If I were to install that same IDE drive
inside the computer and connect it through the hard drive controller, it
would be substantially faster.

--
Ken Hart