Old February 22nd 12, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Justice

Default Will a new computer help?

Oh yeah, sorry. My invoice does not say which USB. Pchased Aug. 2004.
But
the question is will that type of port allow for a fast enough file

access
(using Canon DPP) with a drive with a fast access speed?

If your computer was purchased in 2004 it very likely has USB 2. It
also probably has DDR memory and not just SDRAM. Your initial
description of it led me to believe it was older than that: hence all
my negative comments about its speed. Not withstanding that it will
still be slow compared with computers of today. My comments about the
tires probably still hold.

I have an external HDD on USB as a backup drive and, while it is not
dead slow, I would not like to rely on it for routine disk access.

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Right again. Invoice days DDR SDRAM. Clearly I need help with this stuff,
just understanding the basics.

I took computer programming in the 60's. We had to drive our punch cards to
a city an hour away to run them. In graduate school I wrote my own programs
to analyze my data, rather than try to make packaged statistics conform to
my needs (SPSS, BMDP).

But now the makers of the technology don't want us to get comfortable with
anything: As soon as we are we have to buy the "upgrade" in order to make
it all work. So I resist. I'm still using a Windows 98 machine for my
internet access.

--
Alan Justice
http://home.earthlink.net/~wildlifepaparazzi/