Old December 23rd 08, 10:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Default Digital Photo Frames for refrigirators??

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Ron Hunter wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:
In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alan Browne wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
John A. wrote:

We have an employee with some of those fancy stainless steel
appliances. She says magnets don't stick.
If a magnet doesn't stick to it, then it is NOT really stainless steel.
More likely brushed aluminum.

... will somebody...

I'd be surprised if anyone posting in this thread doesn't have in
their house a magnet and both kinds of stainless steel. The standard
of empirical enquiry in this newsgroup is very disappointing. And
everyone posting here has trivially easy access to google. The
standard of research is pretty disappointing too. No wonder so many
are puzzled by their cameras :-)

Well, for over 1500 years it was believed that spiders had six legs
because Aristotle (I think) said they were insects, and ALL insects had
six legs. Surely someone in all those years actually COUNTED the spider
legs....

Of course they did. The problem was that nobody who counted as an
authority did :-)

At least I got curious and took the 'rare earth' magnetic I
keep handy and TESTED to see if the 'stainless steel' cookware my wife
bought was magnetic, and found it was not. Now, just HOW can the label
something with so little iron in it 'steel'?

It contains lots of iron.

Of course, anyone who uses
stainless steel knows that the name 'stainless' is a misnomer also as it
stains quite easily, but rather should be called 'rustless'. But then
if you leave the iron out of it, of course it is rustless! Now I
understand why it is more expensive than a cast iron pot, it is really
nickel, or chromium, both of which are much more expensive.
Amazing what one can learn in this newsgroup.

It's rather less amazing if you do a bit of checking and discard the
nonsense that's so generously offered :-)

--
Chris Malcolm