Old February 20th 13, 09:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

Default Nikon's new D5200; $900 for a plastic-bodied DSLR

On 20/02/2013 09:08, RichA wrote:
On Feb 19, 7:07 am, Rob wrote:
On 19/02/2013 22:19, RichA wrote:

It really is a bit much, even with the plastic kit lens. The only
cause of this must be the mechanicals, which DSLR's need to function.
Even more odd is that the D7000 body (partly metal and although no
D300 is better than the D5200 body) is only...$900 now!!!

Having just looked and played with a 3100 I don't think that the 5200
would be much better. D7000 seems a far better proposition.

I, like others I think believe that a D300 successor is sorely missing
from this equation. For the body, any of those cameras mentioned is a
step down. People should think not in-terms of a D300 replacement
likely being "only" $400 less than a D600, but that outfitted with say
3 lenses each, a D600 could be thousands of $'s more than a D300
replacement.
D3200
D5200
D7000
D600
D800/e
D3x (I think it's still being made)
D4

D3x Its still on the books and sale but more expensive than the D800.

People are now in a situation where they have a DX camera and DX lenses,
which traps them into a new DX format camera body. This maybe OK for most.