Old May 31st 09, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Edstrom

Default Problem with a Canon 50D

On Sat, 30 May 2009 13:43:50 -0700, Matt Ion
wrote:

Gary Edstrom wrote:
My 4 month old Canon 50D has just developed a problem with the thumb
wheel located just behind the shutter release. No function that
requires its use functions anymore. Among other things, I can no longer
adjust the ASA value.

Has anyone else seen a similar problem?

I plan on calling Canon for warranty repair next Monday, but wanted to
see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

In 4 years of use, my older 20D never had any problems.

This may be a stupid question, but are you enabling the thumb wheel? I
don't know about the 50D specifically, but my 40D's power switch has two
positions - the first turns the camera on but leaves the thumbwheel
disabled; the second enabled the thumbwheel.

Not trying to be consescending or anything, it's just amazing the little
things that get overlooked sometimes... I'm even guilty of it myself
(try shooting a couple dozen frames and then realizing you don't have a
card in the camera... duh!)

Yes, I know about the 2-position switch...I had used a 20D for 4 years
prior to getting the 50D. That is not the problem. I normally keep it
in the full-on position. No menu setting or anything else that requires
the use of the small thumb-wheel functions at all. Fortunately, the
settings are stuck in the mode that I use most of the time. So I was
able to continue using it on the trip I just got back from.

I am calling Canon Monday.

Gary