Old October 5th 04, 02:04 AM
Uranium Committee

(Phil Glaser) wrote in message om...
Conventional black-and-white photography is the most different from digital
(in terms of ability to achieve high quality). It is the one most worth
preserving as a craft.

I have seen this statement made before, but I'm not sure I understand
why this should be so. This is one of the reasons I was so surprised
about Ilford's woes: if traditional black and white is stronger than
digital black and white, why aren't these materials still selling? Can
you elaborate?

--Phil

B&W film is much thinner than color film, and the images are much
sharper than color. Ilford's woes are only partly connected to
digital. Think of the place they're located, with high taxes, heavily
unionised labor, and all that.