Old February 7th 04, 01:24 PM
Raphael Bustin

Default What's missing in LF newbie online resources?

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 04:25:31 GMT, "MikeWhy"
wrote:

I started out scribbling this thinking that it is too simple and too obvious
for an all inclusive "Guide for Newbies" to be meaningful. Right now, I
believe just the opposite, that it's not only worth doing, but will be fun
and worth doing well. I think it will take very few words, and 300 to 500
pictures to illustrate everything that goes into setting up and taking the
first picture, maybe through the point of developing and scanning that
single first image. I think it should be linear, focusing only on every
little step along the way, rather than diverging into comparative anatomies
of Copal versus Compur, or Toyo versus Sinar. There's room for all that
later. Heaven knows that most manufacturers' online catalogs are next to
worthless.

No, no steenkin FAQ for me. FAQs are predominantly typed text. I find it odd
that for a photographic interest, long tomes are mostly what I've found.
Well written, useful, and meaningful to be sure, but I don't think I want to
follow that model. A simple photo essay with the digital will have to do.

Other than that, I also wanted to say that just having you guys here is
plenty of help. Something doesn't seem right, I just squeak and get the real
scoop. Thanks for that.

Personally I've found Steve Simmons' book useful, but
Jack Dykinga's prettier to look at and as useful. For
inspiring photos there's always David and Marc Muench.

Funny, I spent a number of minutes puzzling over the
of all was the Polaroid film holder, which actually required
reading a manual. (And for naught, as the film was hope-
lessly outdated.)

I see a fair amount of redundancy in the controls of these
cameras, and probably a few controls I'll never use.

Hardest part for me will probably be dealing with the
very dim images on the ground glass and of course
learning to see the world upside down.

Oh yes, and figuring out how to schlep all this gear. Ugh.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com