Old June 23rd 12, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.phot.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
watchmaker

Default [SI] Proposed shoot in

SI Committee wrote:
As the vacation travel season begins (in the northern hemisphere anyway)
we propose that the next shoot-in be geographically related.

To whit we further propose that this be a geo-referenced shoot-in due
2012.09.09 when most should be done with their wanderings.

For that, all photos should contain geotags so that when they are opened
the location where they were shot can be shown as well. We'd use a web
photo service (Panoramio for example) to display the photos (as well as
pbase). With Panoramio the photos will (in a week or so after
uploading) also appear on Google Maps/Earth [1].

Some of you may not travel this summer vacation, but geotagging can be
done as close as home or as far as you roam. See below for some info on
geotagging.

What say you?
=============

Technical explanation snipped

I think this is as good an idea as any technologically-oriented mandate,
like wide angle (I don't know if there's ever been a wide angle mandate,
it's just an analogy).

Since I shoot film the point is moot for me, but I'm first cousin to Ned
Ludd anyway. Sure I could buck 40 years of experience and actually carry
a notebook to write down where I am when a given shot is taken, but that
would mean carrying a notebook and remembering to write _anything_ down,
something I've never done. (Well, except for making development notes on
my 8x10 film holders, but lets not go there.)

But I don't see any problem with the idea -- those who want to
participate will, those who don't won't. It might be interesting to see
who does participate and maybe some sort of census on who used
"automatic GPS" and who had to use "Post-processing GPS". If nothing
else it would be a snapshot of how useful and/or widely adopted GPS
tagging is right now. Like any technology it is how you use it that matters.

[I prefer to repair watches at least 50 years old, and steadfastly
refuse to repair quartz watches. The cheapest quartz watch is about
1,000 times more accurate than the most expensive Patek Phillippe
mechanical watch...]