Old January 1st 09, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default Vivitar 283

pumper hinkle wrote:
Well, unfortunately I don't have the original box, just a vinyl case.
I had bought this unit used at a camera shop several years ago after my
original 283 had developed an incurable problem. The serial number of
this unit, if that is any sort of indicator, is 1948082.

How does one measure the voltage? A volt meter across the flash
terminals? This is something I've never considered before.

I would like to use the 283 but not if there is any possibility of
damaging the camera.

By the way, what is high voltage and low voltage considered to be?

42V or 45V (can't remember which) is a safety threshold voltage for the
purpose of appliance certification. Eg: at some point above there you
can feel the voltage as pain.

42V, not coincidently, is becoming the standard voltage for automobiles.
Eventually the 12V battery will disappear. (Some cars already have
dual voltage systems, 12 and 42). The reason being that there are so
many subsystems on cars needing electrical power that there is a
significant saving in wire weight and bulk by increasing the voltage.
Higher voltage is also better for cold cranking.

I hope that systems like steering and brakes will become electrically
boosted this way as well removing the continuous hydraulic load from the
engine. (eg: the hydraulic load is always present even if not doing
anything. Electrically boosted steering and braking would be on demand,
seriously reducing energy consumption). Such would need at least a dual
channel actuator and dual batteries. But well worth it for energy savings.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.