Old May 22nd 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike S.

Default CF dying?

In article ,
Jürgen Exner wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:
"Alfred Molon" wrote:

Seems more and more DSLR manufacturers are switching to SD cards...

SD has been winning for the last several years, David. I get the
impression that CF is now a niche product - restricted to higher end,
so-called "professional" DSLRs.

On the other hand the SD consortium made some other very foolish design
decisions. Remember that SD is limited to 2GB and SDHC to 32GB.
As card capacity is quickly approaching that limit we are in for another
round of "HELP, my card reader can't read my SD card", just 4 years
after the previous war of confusion.

The brand new SDXC finally has some leeway with 2TB (maybe they got
smart finally?), but by spec it uses the proprietary exFAT, which means
you need to run a new Windows if you want to read what your camera
wrote. Maybe there will be a new exFAT drivers for Windows XP, maybe
ther won't. Mac users will probably be fine, too, because for sure Apple
is going to licence exFAT. But users of older OS's or free OS's will be
left in the dark unless someone manages to illegally reverse engineer
the exFAT format.

exFAT drivers for XP were relased in January as MS hotfix KB955704.