Old May 3rd 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Question about buying a d50 cheaply

In article 20060502145249.652f49f3@localhost,
(East Bay) Phil wrote:

Hi, first timer here.

I've put-off the leap to digital for financial reasons and because I wanted a
SLR. It seems possible to get a d50 in my range. I'm thinking of buying the
body as cheaply as possible and then finding a reasonable multipurpose lens
until the 18-200 becomes financially accessible to me. I have a few
questions.

I have recently done the same thing, and decided on the D50 too.

1 - Is there any reason I should consider the d70 or rebel xt over this
camera?

Not if you're trying to save money. The D70s has a few features missing
from the D50, and the Rebel XT felt cheap and light to me, though I'm
sure the pictures you take with it would be equally good. Any of them
will be plenty for beginner/amateurs like you and I.

2 - Any recommendations for a place to buy it cheaply? I saw some places -
royal camera, best price cameras, and cci camera city - that sell the body
for around $300. Are these places for real? reputable? I've never dealt
with 'grey-market' goods, if that's what they sell.

RUN AWAY!! Those places look too good to be true, and they are. Some of
them are so bad they've been banned from the sites where online stores
are rated!!

I ordered my D50 body only last week from www.butterflyphoto.com, where
it was just under $500. After the usual call to try to persuade me to
buy more stuff that I didn't want (and politely refused), they confirmed
that it was in stock, and confirmed payment. Then, mysteriously, when it
came to ship it, they were out of stock! And still are. Not many people
seem to have the body only D50 in stock at the moment, so you might be
better off ordering one with the 18-55mm lens, add the 18-70 lens, then
sell the 18-55 on eBay! If they don't ship mine tomorrow I'll be
cancelling and doing exactly that.

3 - Assuming I do get the body and then hunt for the lens, is the 18-70 a
good place to start.

That's what I went for. In fact, it just arrived today. Still haven't
got the D50 body though, argh!
--
-Take out Ron to reply-
My games blog: http://bloggisgames.blogspot.com