Old May 2nd 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital

Default Question about buying a d50 cheaply

Hi, first timer here.

I've put-off the leap to digital for financial reasons and because I wanted a SLR. It seems possible to get a d50 in my range. I'm thinking of buying the body as cheaply as possible and then finding a reasonable multipurpose lens until the 18-200 becomes financially accessible to me. I have a few questions.

1 - Is there any reason I should consider the d70 or rebel xt over this camera?

2 - Any recommendations for a place to buy it cheaply? I saw some places - royal camera, best price cameras, and cci camera city - that sell the body for around $300. Are these places for real? reputable? I've never dealt with 'grey-market' goods, if that's what they sell.

3 - Assuming I do get the body and then hunt for the lens, is the 18-70 a good place to start. Truth be told, most of my experience is with a plain ol' pentax p3. :^D

Thanks,
Phil

PS: please pardon my cross post - I'm not certain which list is most appropriate for these questions.