Old December 1st 17, 03:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default CF cards apparently not dead yet

On 11/30/2017 9:22 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

So we have two people with anecdotal versions. One says he's not
concerned with the amount of time it takes to upload photos from a
card, and the other is concerned that it takes 15 minutes to upload
his videos.

since the transfer is local, it's called copying.

The process is called many things...upload, download, import, copy,
transfer, etc.

some of which are incorrect.

Adobe uses two terms on this page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/using...os-bridge.html

The top line says "import photos" and #2 says to "Click Download
Images".

download is incorrect, although it's sometimes used for
camera-computer.

SanDisk uses "transfer" and "transfer speed":

transfer is equivalent to copy.

they didn't say upload or download.

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/d...oducts-transfe
r-speed

The different card readers that came up in a search also use
"Transfer".

In Lightroom, the word "Copy" is used. but they also use "import" when
they say refer to getting images from a card to Lightroom.

importing is much more than a simple copy.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/he...m-basic-workfl
ow.html

I agree that "upload" or "download" are the least applicable terms,

not only least applicable, but wrong.

but you can't say that "it's called copying" as if it's the *right*
term because "copy" is used less than "transfer" any of the other
terms including "upload" and "download" by the general user.

i never said copy was the *only* term, and it's used *far* more often
than transfer.

a common (yet inefficient) way to copy a file in windows is choose copy
from the edit menu (or ctrl-c). not transfer.

move is another, although move means deleting the originals.

import is specific to asset managers, since it's a lot more than just
copying.

the point is that upload and download are incorrect.

I like precise use of the correct words in any situation, but there is
no precise term in this case. The *function* is a copy function
since the files remain on the original medium and are replicated in a
new location, but the term "copy" has not achieved any standard
status.

copying does not mean deleting the original.

if the original is deleted after a copy, it's a move.

upload or download would be when it involves a remote system (i.e., the
cloud), which it does not.

For that matter, an upload or a download is also a copy function. The
uploaded or downloaded files are replicated in another location, but
we don't use "copy" to describe uploading or downloading.

sometimes copy is used in that context and may be acceptable.

examples: copy to the cloud. copy to the server.

"Transfer" - a widely used term - is sorta incorrect since the files
are not transferred from one place to another.

yes they most certainly are transferred.

once again, you're *well* out of your league.

True. He stopped using Kindergarten arguments a long time ago.
It is noted that once more, you twisted my plain statement, that the
speed of copying images from a card is not the most important element of
photography, into a meaningless blather.
--
PeterN