Old September 14th 15, 05:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default IrfanView: sometimes very slow loading

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 20:10:45 -0700, Savageduck
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 17:28:57 -0700, Savageduck
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:45:46 -0700, Savageduck
On 2015-09-13 22:25:04 +0000, Eric Stevens said:
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 11:41:40 +0100, David Taylor
wrote:

Le Snip

You can most certainly move a file from one device to another in Win-10!
Select the files, and use the right mouse button. When you release
the mouse button, it allows either move or copy in addition to Create
shortcut.

Once again I was talking about W7. This time when copying files into
Dropbox. Suddenly, when selecting a file with left-click, dragging
didn't just copy a file into Dropbox: it moved it, leaving nothing in
the directory from which it had come.

From a Mac users perspective, that is the way Dropbox works. With OSX,
and I suspect various versions of Windows, there are several ways to
load a file into Dropbox.

1: With the Dropbox folder you can drag the file from its primary
location and it is moved to the desktop DB folder from its original
location, and copied to the DB server. The file will only exist in the
Dropbox desktop folder or sub-folder.

2: Right click on the file icon and select "Move to Dropbox" from the
pop-up menu. The file is moved from its original location to the
desktop Dropbox folder. It is not copied.

On my Windows computer it's "Send to" and then choosing Dropbox. The
file is copied to Dropbox but remains the folder from where it was
sent. Just tried it. I did this by going to StartComputer(file
folder)

When I right-click on a file this is the menu I get with "Move to
Dropbox", and it moves it to the DB desktop folder. It does not copy it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_294.jpg

Different platforms, different actions result, I guess.

Yup.

3: Using the Dropbox web interface, left click and drag the file to the
location on the DB web page and drop. The file is copied to the DB
server and the original remains unmolested in its original position. It
will also place a copy into the Dropbox desktop folder, or sub-folder.

I'm not sure what you mean by the Dropbox web interface. When I open
Dropbox on the web, I don't have access to a folder to drag from.

Why not?
All I do is open a folder with the image files and pull that on top of
the open Dropbox web site location on my web browser. I select the
image I want in DB, I left-click on it, hold and drag to the browser
window and drop. That is all that is needed.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_293.jpg

I use the import icon to add a file to Dropbox, and this imports a copy.
I could open a separate window and try to drag, but this seems much
more complicated than simply importing.

What could be simpler that drag & drop?

That seems to be a matter of personal preference. I do drag and drop
in some cases, but it often doesn't "hold" when I start to drag. Maybe
it's because I use a trackball, or maybe I just don't have the touch.
I don't think it's a matter of which is the best way as long as the
action is effected.

I use an MS Trackball Optical. It has been my favorite input device for
years. I guess I am just better practiced than you.
http://www.shareware-beach.com/photos/J1282752.jpg

BTW...did you ever check to see if your Dropbox items are viewable on
your iPad when offline?

I just turned off WiFi on my iPad so it is offline, and opened Dropbox.
I got the following DB message, "Unable to Load Recent Files". In
actuallity it is unable to load any files.

Strange. I happened to be out with my iPad today and opened Dropbox
when not online. All images in my Dropbox were viewable.

Looks like things are not standardized for all users of all devices.

Do you have cellular data for your iPad, or do you just use WiFi?

Go to settings and turn off WiFi, and make sure cellular data is not
active, then try to access DB. What you are saying just doesn't make
sense.

Just did it. I'm in the house within reach of my router, but turned
off wifi. Dropbox images still pop up without a problem. Then left
wifi turned off and turned Airplane mode on as nospam suggests.
Dropbox images still appear without a problem. There is no difference
in viewing my Dropbox account using the Dropbox app on my iPad any way
I change things or with wifi on and active.

I am downloading a bunch of app updates on my iPad, which returned the
negative offline results. So I just tried with my iPhone in Airplane
mode, cell off, WiFi off. I even marked two images as favorites as
suggested by nospam. Anyway, I'll be damned!! Dropbox worked just fine
displaying all the images on the server not just the favorites.
So, there is something going on with DB and my iPad. I am still baffled
as to how your iPad and my iPhone can access the DB server while
offline.

I don't think the marking as a favorite makes any difference.

I'm not sure what a cellular data setting is on my iPad. All I can
tell you is that my cellular provider, AT&T, doesn't even know about
the existence of my iPad. No phone connections at all.

Do you have a WiFi + Cell iPad? I do, but I have yet to use the iPad
cellular data.
If you do, and you need to use cellular data you purchase a block of
broad band from your provider via your iPad.

I haven't had to do that as I use my iPhone 5S as an LTE/4G WiFi
hotspot which works just fine.

nospam has explained it in another post. If I can do what he says,
your should be able to do the same thing.

I can't provide you with any more information other than I have no
problem viewing everything in my Dropbox account regardless of where I
am or whether I am online or offline.

I am going to investigate this further. Stay tuned.

Maybe it's a secret benefit afforded me by Apple in compensation for
not depleting their inventory of a 5 or 5S back when.

;-)

Savageduck