Old September 14th 15, 05:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eric Stevens

Default IrfanView: sometimes very slow loading

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 21:58:57 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 18:54:46 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Their financial support comes from developing
products for the larger market.

the main reason is that creating compelling apps on xp is no longer
possible.

Evidently, you are not aware that "support" is a term used to mean
one's source of income as well as a term that means to supply
assistance. I tried to make it clear for you, but to no avail.

If you are an app developer, your support comes from the proceeds of
app development. If you are smart, you will expend your time and
effort in developing apps that work on a present and growing market
and not one in decline. The market for XP apps is in sharp decline.

that's a different definition of support than what the software
industry uses and i'm not surprised you get it wrong.

I had to laugh. This is a typical nospamism.

There are two ways of interpreting a word: you pick one and Tony picks
the other. By definition you are right and Tony is wrong.

he usually picks the wrong definition, often deliberately so that he
can argue. it's what he does.

That's what I said. "By definition, you are right ...".

Tony has a business background and what he had in mind when he wrote
that sentence was business support, or financial support. But you
assumed technical support.

the developer has to support the platform and write the app before it
can have tech support.

I knew from context what Tony meant. Nor am
I surprised that you from your own personal context drew the wrong
conclusion. I accept that the confusion might have been avoided if
Tony had written "If you are an app developer, your *financial*
support comes from the proceeds of app development.
Please don't go on arguing that you were right and Tony was wrong.
Tony knew what he mean. You didn't.

there was no confusion. i know what tony meant. he meant that software
sales support the developer.

except that's not how the term 'support' used in the software or
hardware industry.

when someone says 'developer support' they mean that a developer is
actively developing for a given platform or product.

when someone says 'developers do not support xyz' they mean that few,
if any developers are writing for that platform and chances are that
platform will fade away.

that's how the term is used. his definition is wrong. end of story.

So developers are not financially supported by software? I suppose
that's often true.

Eric Stevens