Old October 17th 04, 03:37 AM
The Wogster

Donald Qualls wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I'd like someone to try to name a data storage format (either physical
medium
or data format) that they think cannot be read today.

The point of digital media data loss isn't that the format can or can't
be read -- it's whether anyone, finding (for the sake of argument)
undeteriorated media that doesn't fit their current equipment will both
to spend the time, effort, and money to try to read it to see what's on
it. Sure, in a business setting, a spool of paper tape labeled
"Foundation charter" is something that's a likely candidate to be read,
transcribed onto modern media, and preserved. Grandma's attic, on the
other hand, isn't someplace you'd necessarily expect to find computer
data you'd pay (a lot) to have converted -- especially since most people
who don't work with computers and data storage probably aren't even
aware that conversion services exist.

If you find prints and negatives, you can see with your eyes what images
are stored. If you find a bunch of unlabeled CDs fifty years from now
(and you're 32 years old, and born the same year the last CD-R media
were made), are you likely to be curious enough about them to spend
significant money to find out what's on them? It's hard to imagine a
similar situation -- if I found letters in my Grandmother's estate
written in Sanskrit, I'd be able to at least recognize them as letters,
if not the language (I'm not certain I'd recognize written Sanskrit, at
least). It's more like finding a bunch of blank paper in envelopes --
would I take the time and trouble to figure out which of half a dozen
different invisible ink systems might have been used to write letters on
that paper, or just figure it was unused stationery that had never been
thrown away? And even if the latter, the medium isn't so completely
obsolete that I wouldn't be able to develop the ink myself if I had some
reason to suspect invisible writing; it doesn't depend on a technology
that hasn't been manufactured or supported in decades.

Now, honestly how many people keep around unlabeled CD-Rs? I don't I
want to know what is on a CD, so I will write on it, what is on it, like
"Photo Collection 2004 disc 1" Hey I put on an index file as well, in
text format, because in 10 years time, I might forget what's on it.
Some future relative, might keep those CD's alive by duplicating them
onto new media......

BTW a CD-R that is stored in a cool, dry, dark place, could last, and
retain readability for quite a while. Funny thing is, the best storage
conditions for film, are also good for CD media.....