Old December 2nd 06, 11:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rudy Benner

Default Rubinar 500/5.6 - lubrication and other stuff.

wrote in message
"Rudy Benner" writes:

While I have the lens partly disassembled , I am thinking I should
go a bit further and change the lubricant for the focus, its really
stiff. I need a suggestion for a commonly available lubricant, one
which will work well in sub zero temperatures.

There isn't one. Go find a microscope place, and ask them for some
grease to use. Be nice and they will possibly give you the small smear
you need for free.

Do NOT even THINK of using normal grease or oil, it will coat the optics
and inner surfaces and trash the lens.

--

Yes, good point.

I have removed a substantial amount of grease from the accessible threads
without fully removing the front half of the lens. Already its much better.

....Lets see now, I live in a small town in northern Ontario, where will I
find a microscope place......