Old September 12th 04, 08:47 PM
Alan Browne

Andrea wrote:

Recently the autofocus on my Minolta Maxxum 4 stopped working.
When I switch on autofocus, it will focus correctly, but the shutter
will not release and a dot is blinking in the viewfinder. I cannot
find helpful information in the camera manual. (And my knowledge about
cameras is limited although I am trying to change that)

Usually the blinking dot means focus not achieved and the shutter
release is disabled. Possible causes:

-light on subject is too low
-illuminator (AF assist) from camera is blocked by lens hood or hand
-subject offers no contrasting features that the AF needs to work
-subject is made of vertical or horizontal lines that confuse the af.
-subject is too close for the installed lens.