Old July 30th 14, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default 2nd try

On 2014-07-30 01:02:21 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

Also consider that once you add that TC you no longer have that f/2.8
lens, eventhough the chip in the lens will ID it as a 70-200mm f/2.8.

depends on the teleconverter. some will send the effective aperture
while others just pass the lens data on through.

When the metadata/EXIF IDs the lens as a 70-200mm f/2.8 and the image
is shot at 340mm on a D800 @ f/11, it tells me what aperture the shot
was made at, and it tells me that this 70-200mm f/2.8 has at least a TC
0.7 at max zoom. Add to that the use of flash and ISO 2000, it seems to
me that there is still a fair degree of Russian roulette shooting going
on.
Peter says he misread the EXIF as f/2.8, but this was shot in aperture
priority @ f/11, so who set that aperture if not him?
Then he says the edge softness might be due to the flash. Once more my
BS meter twitches.

I will continue to say this, the addition of the TC to a Nikkor
70-200mm f/2.8 in addition to the exposure settings used amounts to
compromising the potential of a great lens. The TC can be useful under
some circumstances, this particular shoot and subject, is in my opinion
not one of them.

Savageduck