Old July 15th 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JoeT[_2_]

Default long shutter release cable

"JoeT" wrote in message
news

"Jeff" wrote in message
"JoeT" wrote in
:

"Jeff" wrote in message
.. .
"JoeT" wrote in
:

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 06:37:43 -0400, Bob Salomon

wrote:
: In article ,
: "SteveB" wrote:
:
: So, I shall have to
: fabricate a mount for one, or build one. I do welding and
: machining
work,
: and it will be no big deal, but being able to buy ready to go
components
: will be easier than building something from scratch.
:
: Or you could just call your local camera stores and order a
: Kaiser strap-on cable release adapter. Works with any camera
: without a cable release socket.
:
: Does anyone know where I can buy a three to six foot long
: shutter
release
: cable?
:
: Gepe makes long cable releases. The same store that you buy the
: Kaiser adapter from can sell you a Gepe Pro cable release. The
: long ones are available with T or disk lock and in cloth, PVC or
: spiral steel sheathing.

Doesn't anybody make air release cables anymore? That used to be
the common
way of handling this problem at distances greater than a foot or
two.

Bob

You mean like this?

http://tinyurl.com/3xpfye

What I don't get from the image is exactly how it attaches to the
camera. That looks like it ends in a mini plug?

What you see there is the standard tapered thread used on cable
releases for mechanical shutter buttons. That would screw into the
strap-on adapter
mentioned above.

Back in ye olde times, most cameras had a tapered thread hole in the
shutter button to accept the end of a cable release. When the
release is pressed, a plunger extends into the camera to actuate the
shutter. On modern cameras, the shutter button is just a short
travel electric switch so using a switch on a cable or infrared
release is more appropriate.

Thank you for that explanation. So using this shutter release and a
strap on adapter such as mentioned above would solve the OP's problem
since his camera has no threaded hole in the shutter button nor IR or
other remote capability. Plus the available lengths are more than
enough to meet his requirement. Locating a dealer with the item in
stock who'd ship to his location would be the primary concern since
this particular site lists prices yet doesn't appear to provide
purchase capability.

Both are right he

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/3results...&A=search&Q=&s
hs=kaiser&ci=4948&sb=ps&sq=desc

Geesh how did I miss the add to cart icons?

Thanks

Ah different site! Thanks!