Old January 1st 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs

Default Ilford Pan F plus and good developer needed.

Jimmy Martin wrote:
I want to try out this 50 iso B&W film and need a developer suggestion that
gives good tonal gradations.Grain & sharpnes don't matter that much. I want
to go after good tonal latitude because that seems to be the sweet spot that
rivals the synthetic look of T-grain films from Kodak. It would look nice
for portraits & some closeups and detail shots to see how a print looks
blown up 20" x 30" or bigger. The price is low at B&H so I think I'll order
10 rolls to test out.

Jimbo

I get good results using Ilfotex DD-X. You can also use the same
developer for when you want to try ISO 25. Since you are getting 10
rolls, you might want to try a few at ISO 25, though ISO 50 gives very
nice results:

http://www.allgstudio.com/gallery/automotive/MercTwo540_01.jpg shot at
ISO 50

It also scans very nicely. Sometimes, depending upon scanner and
software, it works better to scan as a colour transparency, then invert
the results in PhotoShop.

You might be able to get good 20" by 30" prints from Pan F. I am not so
certain about using it for portraits, since the tones for fair skinned
people are not so favourable, though that might just be my opinion. I
prefer AGFA APX100 for portraits, though tough to tell how much longer
that will be available.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio